JSR 358 IP Working Group Meeting Minutes
for August 8 2013
Thursday 8 August 2013, 1:00-2:00 pm PDT
- Review minutes of last meeting
- Status of Contributor Agreement issue
- Continue discussion of Spec IP-flow (working towards a term-sheet)
- Continue discussion of IP-related issues excluding Contributor Agreements
- Patrick Curran
- Werner Keil
- Steve Harris
- Mike DeNicola
- Don Deutsch
- Anish Karmarkar
- Heather Vancura
We discussed the version 3 draft of the IP-flow document, and focused on Essential Patents. We decided to incorporate the proposal made by Mike Milinkovich, Steve Wolfe, and Scott Jameson (copied below for reference) into the document.
- All EG members will make royalty free IP grants to the spec. These grants are not based on contribution. They include any IP rights that the EG members owns which read on the spec and conformant implementations.
- Contributors to the spec (regardless of JCP membership) will also make royalty free IP grants for their contributions
- JCP members not participating in the EG have an obligation to disclose any patents they know about in which case they agree to grant an IP license under FRAND terms. The spec lead then has the opportunity to re-architect the specification to avoid reading on the patent. (Of course, the non-participating member can choose to make royalty free grants if they so choose.)
- Note: this is a significantly lower bar than the current Section 6.
- Defensive termination rights will be included - however there is an open point as to whether the IP for the specification in question, or the IP for all Java specifications would be subject to this termination.
- A spec lead initiating litigation in defense of the subject specification would not trigger the defensive termination clause.
Patrick agreed to publish an updated draft of the document for discussion at next week's EC meeting.
The updated document is available here.