@tkleiber - thanks for logging the ER. Please lodge a separate issue on the ADF EMG issue tracker so we can track that ER separately to this piece of work that relates to the guidelines. In the new issue just refer back to this issue.
@tkleiber & @Ulrich - returning to the naming conventions - putting aside including the workspace/project name embedded in the deployment profile name for the moment, what it appears both tkleiber and Ulrich have identified is that both rules 02008 and 02009 require a change to accommodate the "need" or "use" of the deployment profile. Both of you have identified different needs, tkleiber through flagging SSO/non SSO use, Ulrich the 3 aspects you discussed.
I don't think it's possible to articulate all the different types of needs for the purposes of defining the rules, because in reality that could be a multiplication of every known option under every known deployment profile type and what every arbitrary uses you have at each site. As such to still present a simple version of the rules, we just state something like:
• [ADFng2-02008] – Application level deployment profile names – For deployment profiles created at the application workspace level, the deployment profile name should be the same as the application workspace name. If you have more than one deployment profile that correspondences to different needs/use, include the need/use as a suffix such that it takes the form <WorkspaceName><Need>.
For example: Procurement or ProcurementTest or ProcurementProd
• [ADFng2-02009] – Project level deployment profile names – For deployment profiles created at the project level, the deployment profile name should take the form <WorkspaceName><ProjectName>, for example CommonModel or HrViewController. If you have more than one deployment profile that correspondences to different needs/use, include the need/use as a suffix such that it takes the form <WorkspaceName><ProjectName><Need>.
For Example: CommonModel or CommonModelTest or CommonModelProd
...as a result of the change of these rules this will also require a change to rule ADFng1-02010 because at the moment that rule would have the need/use part of the deployment profile reflected in the artefact name. This is undesirable as the IDE hardcodes dependencies based on their path and filename, rather than using a CLASSPATH, that makes slipping in different versions of dependent libraries difficult if the file name changes.
At this time rule ADFng1-02010 is stil under discussion at http://java.net/jira/browse/ADFEMG-102 but a preliminary rewrite of that rule is as follows:
• [ADFng2-02010] - Deployment profile archive name and file extensions - the archive name and file extension that is produced for the relating deployment profile should be the same as the deployment profile name minus the need/use as defined in rules 02009 and 02010, all in lowercase as per the Java convention , with a use of an appropriate file type. For example:
• ADF Library <deploymentprofilename>.jar commonmodel.jar
• EAR File <deploymentprofilename>.ear procurement.ear
• JAR File <deploymentprofilename>.jar utilities.jar
• WAR File <deploymentprofilename>.war hr.war