This is in the category "nice to have".
A shell script containing various environment variables to be used by users,developers and continuous integration processes.
It could define conventions for various things such as:
- PATH (adding all binaries of the refered glassfish in the PATH)
- GF_HOME (would point to the current installation configured in the environment)
- various default ports
- command completions.
Here are the immediate benefits I can see:
- Conventions could allow users sharing shell scripts and run them as is.
- Conventions could unify devtests, improving the developer experience
- Any user could add "source /path/to/glassfish4/glassfish/conf/environment.sh" to his/her .profile or .rc files.
- It would reduce the environment part of the CI jobs, and conventions would certainly bring more readability
- It would help hooking command completion with simplicty.
- With a one step operation (edit rc file), users could have seemless asadmin command completion !