I didn't start a detailed log until later. I remember having issues such as
having to restart Glassfish after putting my servlet web service into a virtual
server before it becomes available on the virtual server's HTTP service. If I
didn't restart I would get exceptions, or a blank screen when trying to access
the WSDL. I think the same was true when removing a web project from a virtual
The scenario below shows various other odd things I encountered while trying to
work with virtual servers.
I deployed a web project (that contains only a web service) from NetBeans 5.5.1
into Glassfish V2 RC8 (58g). I logged into the web admin console and selected
my web project from the tree on the left. I went to the target tab and clicked
"Manage Virtual Servers" for the "server" target. I selected my virtual server
from the list on the left and added it to the list on the right, clicked OK.
Next I tried to go to the URL of my web service's WSDL. I get a blank screen.
Back in the web admin console tab in Firefox I clicked my web project from the
tree on the left, and was brought to the login screen!
After restarting glassfish I went back to the URL of my web service URL and this
time I see an HTTP 404 error. It turns out I was trying to access the wrong URL
(typo). Wanting to try the experiment again, I undeployed the web project from
the runtime tab in Netbeans. Next I redeployed it from NetBeans. Immediately I
was able to access the WSDL on my virtual server's port. I was not expecting
this since I have not yet told the web project to use the virtual server from
the admin console.
I logged into the admin console to check if the virtual server was added to this
web project. It is not. I decided to restart Glassfish again to see if it would
still let me access the WSDL after. I can still see the WSDL using the virtual
server's port # in the URL. This does not make sense. FYI - I am pressing
CTRL-F5 to force firefox to refresh. I even opened IE to see if it would show
in there, and it does. I logged into the admin console and again confirmed that
no virtual servers have been selected for this web project.
While I was doing these tests, there was an other web project that I had
deployed earlier that is configured to use the virtual server. My virtual
server has its own http listener using port 8443, and SSL enabled.