jai-core
  1. jai-core
  2. JAI_CORE-138

Unix/Linux installer says "file appears to be corrupted"

    Details

    • Type: Bug Bug
    • Status: Open
    • Priority: Major Major
    • Resolution: Unresolved
    • Affects Version/s: 1.1.3
    • Fix Version/s: milestone 1
    • Component/s: other
    • Labels:
      None
    • Environment:

      Operating System: All
      Platform: All

    • Issuezilla Id:
      138

      Description

      When I try to install JAI on my machine, the installer says that "file appears
      to be corrupted". The error looks like this in context:

      ridcully> jai_imageio-1_1-lib-linux-i586-jdk.bin

      Sun Microsystems, Inc. ("Sun") ENTITLEMENT for SOFTWARE

      Licensee/Company: Entity receiving Software.

      Effective Date: Date of delivery of the Software to You.
      ...
      Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]
      yes
      Unpacking...
      tail: cannot open `+215' for reading: No such file or directory
      Checksumming...
      1
      The download file appears to be corrupted. Please refer
      to the Troubleshooting section of the Installation
      Instructions on the download page for more information.
      Please do not attempt to install this archive file.

      The install file is not corrupted. The following command causes the installer
      to run perfectly:

      _POSIX2_VERSION=199209 /bin/sh jai_imageio-1_1-lib-linux-i586-jdk.bin

      More info on this workaround can be found at

      http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-03/msg01112.html

      Even with the workaround this is a significant issue to me because I have end
      users trying to get JAI installed on their machines. This issue causes confusion
      and bad impressions for JAI and my toolkit.

      I am running on Ubuntu (Release 8.0.04 hardy) with the following details
      uname -a
      Linux ridcully 2.6.24-25-generic #1 SMP Tue Oct 20 07:31:10 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

        Activity

        Hide
        effad added a comment -

        The problem is this line:
        tail +215 $0 > $outname
        change it to:
        tail -n+215 $0 > $outname

        However, if you try to extract the .bin-File on a 64-bit machine, you will get:
        This is not a proper JDK directory. Exiting install.

        Which is a bogus error message, because you absolutely ARE in a proper JDK directory, it just happens to be a 32-bit JDK on a 64 bit machine. These lines are responsible for the problem:
        elif [ `expr \`uname -m\` : .64.` != '0' ]; then
        ARCH=amd64 # linux-amd64
        else
        ARCH=i386 # linux-i586
        fi

        To circumvent the problem, I just changed amd64 to i386.

        Show
        effad added a comment - The problem is this line: tail +215 $0 > $outname change it to: tail -n+215 $0 > $outname However, if you try to extract the .bin-File on a 64-bit machine, you will get: This is not a proper JDK directory. Exiting install. Which is a bogus error message, because you absolutely ARE in a proper JDK directory, it just happens to be a 32-bit JDK on a 64 bit machine. These lines are responsible for the problem: elif [ `expr \`uname -m\` : . 64. ` != '0' ]; then ARCH=amd64 # linux-amd64 else ARCH=i386 # linux-i586 fi To circumvent the problem, I just changed amd64 to i386.

          People

          • Assignee:
            jai-core-issues
            Reporter:
            steven_reynolds
          • Votes:
            1 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            0 Start watching this issue

            Dates

            • Created:
              Updated: