Kim and I completed this task. We created and populated the database, ran the NetBeans Create Entities from Database wizard to create a new Book.java file in the dukesbookstore.entities package. We added the findbooks named query to it as well. We got rid of web/bookstore/src/java/com/sun/bookstore6/database/BookDBAO.java and migrated its functionality to dukes-bookstore/src/java/dukesbookstore/ejb/BookRequestBean.java, adding logging functionality and a named query.
The functionality has been ported to the revised example in web/dukes-bookstore. We tested it and it operates as before - no regressions.
It works as advertised, so I will close this issue. However, if further testing indicates a need to work on it again, the issue will have to be reopened.