I brought this issue to the Sun JavaEE Architecture meeting on Tuesday
19 January 2010. This meeting happens mostly weekly and is where the
Sun EE Spec leads coordinate efforts to drive JavaEE spec efforts to
completion. The technical leadership at this meeting includes Bill
Shannon, Sun Distinguised Engineer and past JavaEE spec lead, and
Roberto Chinnici JavaEE 6 spec lead.
I brought up two issues regarding ProjectStage
1. revive the drive to expose ProjectStage to lower level technologies
2. have a System property to set the ProjectStage.
For 1), the following questions were raised:
- What specific use-cases exist for having ProjectStage at the servlet
level? If the Servlet EG reviewed the proposal and ultimately
rejected it, why bring it up again?
- What about Gavin King's "alternatives" proposal?
Pete Muir has clarified at this meeting that the "alternatives"
proposal from Gavin did not make it into CDI in such a way as to be
appropriate for our needs in the ProjectStage feature.
For 2), the following points were raised:
- There are no other System Properties in all of EE. Why do we need one
- Why, specifically, does this system property need to be a part of the
portable programming model?
I voiced that it's useful in cases like mvn jetty run, or mvn tomcat
run. Bill countered that such usages are already container specific,
so it would best be addressed with a container specific configuration.
In conclusion, I think we should close this spec issue and handle the
System Property at the impl level. I have opened issue 1539 for this