Time for launch Tomcat without Jersey is 1 second.
When I add the jars of Jersey to tomcat/lib directory, the time for launch goes for 30 seconds.
It doesn't matter which application I deploy - even if no application is deployed (no servlets) it takes that time. However the server already contains jars of Selenium and EclipseLink.
The jar that cause the problem is jersey-servlet-1.13. When I remove it from lib directory, launch time goes normal again. I suspect that the services defined in that jar (\META-INF\services*) cause the trouble but couldn't find the exact cause...
I'm not sure if it's a bug but it's definitively a problem.
My motivation for choosing Tomcat was performance, and if Jersey hurts that performance it's a problem.
Steps to reproduce:
1. download and extract apache-tomcat-7.0.29
2. copy to tomcat/lib directory the following jars from eclipselink-2.3.1 (JPA):
3. copy to tomcat/lib directory the following jars from selenium-2.24.1:
b) all jars from lib directory (36 jars)
4. run tomcat/bin/startup.bat and make sure (using logs) the startup time is few seconds at most.
On my machine it takes less than 1 second.
5. run shutdown.bat
6. copy to tomcat/lib directory the following jars from jersey-archive-1.12.zip:
(As far as I know this is the minimum required to use Jersey)
7. run startup.bat again.
On my machine it takes now more than 30 seconds.