The current consensus within the EG is:
- Hold the 2012 elections as usual but inform candidates that they will serve only a one-year term if elected.
- Merge the two ECs immediately after the 2012 election and eliminate Oracle's and IBM's second seat.
- The merged EC will therefore have 30 members, minus those who lose their votes due to non-attendance.
- Eliminate three ratified and two elected seats in the October 2013 elections, reducing the EC to 25 members.
- All remaining seats (including those who were elected in 2012) will be up for re-election in 2013.
- After 2013 we will reset to a two-year election cycle.
- Rank members elected in 2013 to determine whether their initial term will be one or two years.
- The 50% in each of the group of ratified and elected members who receive the most votes will serve an initial two-year term, while the others will serve an initial one year term.
- All members elected in 2014 and subsequently will serve a two-year term.