Affects Version/s: 1.6, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.6.3
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: Misc Component
org.jdesktop.swingx.plaf.basic.BasicErrorPaneUI suffers from a number of flaws:
A) Renders exceptions incorrectly in the details pane:
html.append(" " + escapeXml(errorInfo.getErrorException().toString())); // incorrect, shall be message(s) only
html.append("<h4>""</h4>"); // incorrect, use ex.toString()
B) "Caused by:" is missing for chained exceptions, making it harder to understand the stack trace.
C) There are a number of minor performance issues:
1) String concatenation is used instead of append().
2) String.replace() is used instead of java.util.regex.
Attached is a modified BasicErrorPaneUI, based on rev 4171 (1.6.3). It has the following changes:
- Added some serialVersionUID, @Override, @SuppressWarnings and comments in empty block to eliminate IDE warnings.
- Removed some redundant inheritDoc, some of them even had incorrect syntax.
Changes in the details pane:
- Horizontal rule below header removed. I just happened to dislike this, perhaps you don't and want to keep it.
- "Caused by:" added before nested exceptions.
- Indentation of stack trace changed.
- Patterns used instead of String.replace() for performance.
- Level removed, since it serves little purpose. I just happened to dislike this, perhaps you don't and want to keep it.
- "Message:" not shown if there are no messages.
- Title not included if there is no title.
- Messages from all nested exceptions extracted, duplicates removed.
- StringBuffer replaced with StringBuilder, added initial capacity and replaced string concatenation with append.
- Added a TODO about making the details pane lazy.