As of Java 7, OpenJDK is the Reference Implementation (RI) for Java. In essence, the OpenJDK is the Java we use every day! With legal and technical barriers become smaller every day, it is now more possible than ever to get involved in the language and VM that we all love.
Also, see [[Goals]] and [[Benefits]] [[image: duke_needs_you.jpg | right]]
= Who's Adopting OpenJDK? =
Many individuals, JUGs and organisations, see [[Who Is Adopting OpenJDK]]
= Getting Started =
You can participate in the programme via:
# Visiting the [http://openjdk.java.net/groups/adoption/ Adoption Group Page]
# Joining the [http://mail.openjdk.java.net/mailman/listinfo/adoption-discuss adoption-discuss mailing list]
# Joining us on the '''IRC:''' ''#adoptopenjdk'' channel on ''irc.freenode.net''
# Follow us on '''Twitter:''' '''@adoptopenjdk''' (Also follow the [https://twitter.com/search/%23adoptopenjdk #adoptopenjdk] hash tag)
# Read the weekly '''(News)paper:''' http://paper.li/adoptopenjdk/1370465075 (subscribe)
# Join the '''[https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/104849759654403050599 Google+ Community]'''
# Peruse and join our '''[https://github.com/adoptopenjdk/ Adopt OpenJDK GitHub Projects]'''
# Peruse and join our '''[https://bitbucket.org/adoptopenjdk/ Adopt OpenJDK Bitbucket Projects]'''
# See our / affiliate projects building nightly [https://adopt-openjdk.ci.cloudbees.com/view/AdoptOpenJDK Cloudbees Jenkins CI Server]
# Go over the [https://adoptopenjdk.gitbooks.io/adoptopenjdk-getting-started-kit/content/en// Getting Started Guide and Intermediate & Advance experiences] document - ideal resource to refer to before attending hackdays and hands-on events. Also a good one-stop point for materials for organisers of such events.
# '''NOTE:''' For some contributions you need to sign an Oracle Contributor Agreement. See [[Initial Steps|Legal Steps]]<br />
'''NOTE:''' See [[Adopt OpenJDK Etiquette]] for our community rules
= Events =
Future [[Events]] (as of the 2nd of November 2013)
= What do we work on for OpenJDK? =
We have several exciting projects on the go including but not limited to:
* [[WhatToWorkOnForOpenJDK#Build_OpenJDK|Building OpenJDK]] - Build Java itself!
* [[Test Fests]] - Write tests and improve the quality of Java!
* [[TestingJava8| Testing Java]] - Help get 100's of projects get ready for Java 8/9
* [[Project Coin| Milling Project Coin]] - Help test some project coin tweaks in Java 9
* [[WhatToWorkOnForOpenJDK#Betterrev|Betterrev]] - Improve the patch submission, build and test of Java
* [[WhatToWorkOnForOpenJDK#Javacountdown|Javacountdown]] - Ensure the world is using the safest Java!
* [[WhatToWorkOnForOpenJDK#Lambdas|Lambda Tutorials]] - Learn all about Lambas in Java 8!
There are '''Plenty''' of other projects, see [[What to work on for OpenJDK]]
== Leading an Adopt OpenJDK effort ==
See [[Leading an Adopt OpenJDK effort]]
= Talks and Presentations =
See [[Talks and Presentations]]
= Projects and Code =
We have lots of hands on coding projects, see our repositories at:
* [[image: Bitbucket_Logo.png|102x26px]] - [https://bitbucket.org/adoptopenjdk/ AdoptOpenJDK on BitBucket]
* [[image: Octocat.jpg|30x30px]] - [https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/ AdoptOpenJDK on GitHub]
Email the [mailto:email@example.com Adopt OpenJDK group] to sign-up to a project and/or an event.<br/>