Skip to main content

[jsr236-spec users] Re: ThreadLocal/Priority/OLTP

  • From: Mohan Radhakrishnan < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [jsr236-spec users] Re: ThreadLocal/Priority/OLTP
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 18:34:19 +0530

Hi Anthony,
                     The statement about Priority might not be relevant as I have not seen any discussion of it recently. Not even in the JCiP book. I did ask the concurrency list also to clear a doubt. Since this is a concurrency spec. it can be rephrased.

This does not seem to be true across VM's/OS's etc.

I am also not sure how "3.4.4.1.2 OLTP Threads" work in this context with different priorities.
It looks like OLTP might require a spec. of its own :-)

Thanks,
Mohan

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Anthony Lai < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi Mohan,

1. Yes, it is outside the scope of this spec. Each Java EE Product Provider could decide if and what they want to do with respect to how to clean up ThreadLocal in pooled threads. But I would imagine that most providers would clear up the security related information from a pooled thread before reusing the thread for another task.

2. In that example, the priority refers to the priority in a java.lang.Thread.

3. It is entirely up to application developers what kind of applications they can develop with the APIs provided by the spec.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Anthony

On 2/4/13 9:53 PM, Mohan Radhakrishnan wrote:
Hi,

1.
        I have a general question that probably applies to all thread pools but in this spec. threads are explicitly managed by the container. Are there any rules regarding 'ThreadLocal' required ? Since the container manages the threads apart from the fact that they are pooled there could be application security restrictions on the sensitivity of information stored by ThreadLocals.

Is this outside the scope of the spec ?

2. What is the meaning of the requirement of a slightly higher priority ? Does this actually mean that internally a java.util.concurrent Queue or something like that handles this ?

3.1.4.1.3 OLTP Thread Pool

The OLTP (On-Line Transaction Processing) Thread Pool executor uses a thread pool with many more threads and a low hung-task threshold. It also uses a thread factory that creates threads with a slightly higher priority and a ContextService with a limited amount of context information.

3. Are high-throughput OLTP applications envisaged by the adoption of the spec. ?

Thanks,
Mohan

[jsr236-spec users] ThreadLocal/Priority/OLTP

Mohan Radhakrishnan 02/05/2013

[jsr236-spec users] Re: ThreadLocal/Priority/OLTP

Anthony Lai 02/06/2013

[jsr236-spec users] Re: ThreadLocal/Priority/OLTP

Mohan Radhakrishnan 02/07/2013