Skip to main content

[el-spec users] [jsr341-experts] Re: The new EL 3.0 String concatenation operator &, how would that work in Facelets?

  • From: Kin-man Chung <kinman.chung@...>
  • To: jsr341-experts@...
  • Cc: balusc@...
  • Subject: [el-spec users] [jsr341-experts] Re: The new EL 3.0 String concatenation operator &, how would that work in Facelets?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:50:06 -0800

Thanks for the feed back on EL 3.0.

EL has currently another xml special character, namely, <. How is this handled in facelets?

Regardless, it seems prudent to pick another symbol for concatenation. Consider the expression

    foo &amp;

which in EL means foo concatenate amp. Already I can see there may be confusions. :-)

What does other EGs think about this?

I recall the other symbols we considered:

 1.  ++
 2.  #
 3.  +=
 4.  !

In any case, we should also allow the string "concat" as an operator, like "eq" or "lt" etc.

Kin-man

On 02/15/12 08:31, Bauke Scholtz wrote:
Hi,

I saw the proposal for the new EL 3.0 string concatenation operator &.

The idea is at its own great. However, since a XML special character is been used, I wonder how it should be used in Facelets since that's a XML based view technology which needs to go through a XML parser first. I imagine that we'd need to escape the & as &amp; everywhere. This isn't very developer friendly. I'd suggest a different operator symbol.

Cheers, Bauke

[el-spec users] [jsr341-experts] The new EL 3.0 String concatenation operator &, how would that work in Facelets?

Bauke Scholtz 02/15/2012

[el-spec users] [jsr341-experts] Re: The new EL 3.0 String concatenation operator &, how would that work in Facelets?

Kin-man Chung 02/15/2012

[el-spec users] [jsr341-experts] Re: The new EL 3.0 String concatenation operator &, how would that work in Facelets?

Mark Thomas 02/16/2012

[el-spec users] [jsr341-experts] Re: The new EL 3.0 String concatenation operator &, how would that work in Facelets?

Kin-man Chung 02/16/2012