Skip to main content

Confusion regarding Hudson and Jenkins

5 posts   Feedicon  
Replies: 4 - Last Post: February 22, 2011 03:53
by: David Strauss
showing 1 - 5 of 5
Posted: February 14, 2011 21:53 by Daniel Kirkdorffer
I'm confused.

When Oracle laid claim to the name Hudson and the Hudson community decided that converting to Jenkins was the way to go, I thought that meant Hudson would become Jenkins and we'd all go from there.

Instead, it appears things are going to be more complicated than that. Hudson seems to be an ongoing concern. Jenkins has been forked and now plugin developers are faced with supporting multiple systems, or choosing one or the other. That's going to be a fragmenting problem.

So my question here is just how solid is Hudson and what's being done to retain the plugin development community?
Posted: February 15, 2011 11:45 by susanduncan
Hudson is very solid.

It is supported by Oracle and Sonatype and those of the developer community who have decided to either remain neutral or stay with Hudson.

You can follow this discussions around the community, process, plugins, infrastructure and plans moving forward on the dev and users mailing lists and on the website[1]

There is a survey being conducted that you may wish to participate in, if you haven't already done so [2]

The community has not really started to use the forums in earnest yet, it seems that the mailing lists are the preferred communication device

rgds

Susan

[1] http://hudson-ci.org
[2] https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MakingHudsonBetter
Posted: February 17, 2011 23:49 by David Strauss

Just in the interest of full disclosure (because Java.net doesn't show affiliations), Susan probably works for Oracle given that she's an admin for the Hudson group. I do think that makes her evaluation of Hudson's project strength have some bias. Anyone choosing between Hudson and Jenkins should keep that in mind. I'm not personally affiliated with Oracle or Cloudbees.

It is supported by Oracle and Sonatype and those of the developer community who have decided to either remain neutral or stay with Hudson.

Presumably, the time will come when neutrality becomes difficult of impossible as the code bases diverge. Other than branding, it seems like Hudson is the fork and Jenkins continues the mainline because the core team is continuing on a Jenkins while Sonatype seems excited about pursuing its goals with Oracle's Hudson project.

Posted: February 21, 2011 17:27 by Daniel Kirkdorffer
Well that's the thing, I'm concerned about fragmentation from an end user's perspective. Will the plugins I've been using continue to be supported on Hudson? Will I find that some will only be available on Hudson, and some only on Jenkins? If that happens that will well and truly suck.
Posted: February 22, 2011 03:53 by David Strauss

I believe most plugin development is continuing on the Jenkins side.

Replies: 4 - Last Post: February 22, 2011 03:53
by: David Strauss

Close
Please Confirm
Close