Skip to main content

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

  • From: Andrew Bayer <andrew.bayer@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:12:39 -0800

That is correct. Anything hosted at hudson-labs.org was running on a server owned by a few community members, *not* Oracle. The Github organization and mailing lists were also owned by community members, not Oracle. Logically enough, when the project was renamed, those assets went with their owners to Jenkins.

I'd also like to note that the update center on hudson-labs.org has remained neutral, only showing plugin updates so far, with no new core to install presented. Shortly, it'll make a quick mini-update available for 1.395 that will provide users with a choice of upgrading either to Jenkins or Hudson. I'm bringing this up because it's been said or implied multiple times that we (i.e., the Jenkins team and specifically those of us who own and maintain our infrastructure and update center for the last year or so) are auto-updating users to Jenkins without informing them. That, clearly, is not true.

A.

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Richard Bywater <rbywater@...> wrote:
Agreed - I'm assuming the infrastructure was not Oracle owned and therefore calling it stolen could even potentially be considered be libelous.

Also I am a bit surprised that if Sonatype/Oracle had all these resources to spare, where were they prior to the fork?

Richard.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Slide <slide.o.mix@...> wrote:

I think calling it stolen is a poor choice of words. It was a community decision, nothing was "stolen."

Slide

On Feb 13, 2011 7:03 PM, "Ted Farrell" <ted.farrell@...> wrote:

> Hi Emeric,
>
> Oracle and Sonatype are working closely together. Sonatype had been doing a lot of work already and it was the same kind of things that we had been talking about. You'll see more code coming from Oracle as well now that we are mostly caught up after having parts of the Hudson infrastructure stolen away from us during the Jenkins fork. Winston and team have been working to getting the infrastructure back to normal, which is just about done. Now they are looking forward to cranking out some code.
>
> The driver of Hudson should be the community. Oracle is fully backing the project so it will continue to grow and be supported. We are putting more resources on it every week. We welcome everybody who wants to constructively participate.
>
> As far as governance goes, we are hoping to make things more formal and post something soon. We are leaning towards an Eclipse model where there is a lead (Winston) and a PMC. I suggested this to Cloudbees and Andrew when we were discussing things in December, but Sacha thought that was too formal/heavyweight so I dropped it as a compromise. That is why it was not in any of the documents we posted so far. Now that they have forked, we are leaning towards it again. I think following a well-proven process is better than making one up on our own, and I am interested in hearing others thoughts as well.
>
> Let me know if you have any other questions.
>
> thx.
>
> -ted

Emeric Vernat 02/13/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Slide 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Richard Bywater 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Christoph Kutzinski 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Péter Kovács 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Christoph Kutzinski 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Péter Kovács 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Christoph Kutzinski 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Andrew Bayer 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

R. Tyler Croy 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Richard Bywater 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

R. Tyler Croy 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

R. Tyler Croy 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Winston Prakash 02/14/2011