Skip to main content

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

  • From: Richard Bywater <rbywater@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:38:57 +1300

Sorry - maybe I should have been a bit more clear - by "resources" I was meaning software engineers etc. rather than physical boxes :)

Richard.

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM, R. Tyler Croy <tyler@...> wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Richard Bywater wrote:

> Agreed - I'm assuming the infrastructure was not Oracle owned and therefore
> calling it stolen could even potentially be considered be libelous.

Your assertion is correct here Richard. I'm one of the folks formerly behind
the scenes of Hudson, now Jenkins. The primary build infra and portions of the
distribution network have all been community donated, along with the hardware
colocated that I currently foot the bill for (oof!).

When the decision to become Jenkins as final, most of the mirror operators and
folks who donated slaves proactively contacted me about adjusting the
contributions to continue to support Jenkins.

Hudson has plenty of infrastructure already, I think a lot of the belly-aching
has more to do with some of the scripts and release management tools which Hudson
uses, which can be a bit confusing/painful to the uninitiated.

> Also I am a bit surprised that if Sonatype/Oracle had all these resources to
> spare, where were they prior to the fork?

They were likely all there, just not yet needed. One of the motivators to move
to more community oriented infrastructure was that with KK's departure from
Oracle, gaining root/admin access to certain pieces of hardware became more
difficult, understandably so.

- R. Tyler Croy
--------------------------------------
   Code: http://github.com/rtyler
 Chatter: http://twitter.com/agentdero
         http://identi.ca/dero

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

(continued)

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Richard Bywater 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Christoph Kutzinski 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Péter Kovács 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Christoph Kutzinski 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Péter Kovács 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Christoph Kutzinski 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Andrew Bayer 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

R. Tyler Croy 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Richard Bywater 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

R. Tyler Croy 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Ted Farrell 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

R. Tyler Croy 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Winston Prakash 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

R. Tyler Croy 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Winston Prakash 02/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: What is the governance of the new Hudson?

Emeric Vernat 02/14/2011