Skip to main content

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Using Github as the canonical Git repository

  • From: Ted Farrell <ted.farrell@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [Hudson-Dev] Re: Using Github as the canonical Git repository
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:38:22 -0800 (PST)

> Wasn't the whole fork triggered by the original Hudson developers wanting to migrate to github, and not being allowed to? (Excuse my poor memory)

No.  That was a misrepresentation of statements I made which caused a lot of confusion.  I had asked to hold off on the github move until we could coordinate with more of the community.  I clarified multiple times in later posts[1] that Oracle was "in favor of moving to a git-based repository, including possibly github, and we just wanted some time to evaluate what that means and the best way to achieve it.".  There was no coordinated plan at that time to move to github.  Just a statement that it was done[2], 6 days before I posted my first comments to the mailing lists.

If the community wants to work in github, we are good with that.  People here like git, and after looking at it a bit more, github has more features that java.net gives with it's git support right now.

    -ted