Skip to main content

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

  • From: Jason van Zyl <jason@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:16:39 -0500

On Feb 24, 2011, at 3:51 PM, James Nord wrote:

On 24/02/2011 20:31, Jason van Zyl wrote:
On Feb 24, 2011, at 3:20 PM, <teilo@...> <teilo@...> wrote:

I'll try this again whilst not rushing out the door and leaving
predictive text on..

"We are also in communication with a bunch of the plugin writers who
are interested in keeping their plugins working in both Hudson and
Jenkins."

Which bunch of *plugin writers* would that be as it certainly hasn't
included me (m2 release)

The two that I saw today were:

Build Pipeline:

Sonar Plugin:

Both specifically supporting both Hudson and Jenkins.

Ok - maybe a bit more context...
Currently the source is in java.net svn - it is to me migrated to github jenkinsci (jenkinsci will be the primary target from now as we use Nectar).

The next release has a bug that needs to be fixed in the core - I am about to make that change in Jenkins.
As such I will declare the parent of my plugin to the the hpi of the fixed jenkins version.

So - this will I presume lock out Hudson users (as the hpi is built against the jenkins parent not the pre split/fork/rename/whatever Hudson.)

So given that I would also need to put the equiv fix into Hudson (and would require me to do more work by writing a Unit / integration test for this) where do I go?

1) the fix would need to go into core as it is a core bug.
2) somehow my plugin needs to get to both update centers and the version of jenkins != version of Hudson (due to differeing release versions/timescales)

(The core bug is that it does not set and expose M2_HOME as an environment variable to the Maven2 type job, nor does it prepend M2_HOME to the path.

I don't think anything about the HPI will cause a problem per se, I think much of that could be worked out. But if you are relying on changes in the core then there's not much you can do. I don't think you should have to do any extra work.

But I think your problem is exacerbated by the fact that Hudson's core is currently not very modular. A fix in the Maven functionality should really be partitioned and should have not required something in the core. At any rate if a user popped and wanted to use your plugin but needed to use Hudson then we would probably make the fix, contribute integration tests to your plugin and then add it to our matrix of plugins we test for compatibility. I don't think there should be any more of a burden for plugin developers.

This may very well happen on this side here too. Plugins that are written using JSR330, JAXRS, and GWT will not run in Jenkins and users at some point will have to make a choice, or Jenkins will have to absorb some of our work. I believe the first indicator of what will happen in this scenario is when we release our Maven 3.x integration which will require some changes that we put in the core.

/James

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

 -- Unknown

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

(continued)

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Ted Farrell 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Richard Bywater 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Vincent Latombe 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jaanek Oja 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Joe Bowbeer 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Winston Prakash 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Charles Rhys 02/26/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

teilo 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason van Zyl 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

James Nord 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason van Zyl 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] PLugins and changes in Jenkins Core [was Re: Questions re governance and control]

James Nord 02/28/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Henrik Lynggaard Hansen 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Charles Rhys 02/26/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Stuart McCulloch 02/26/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason van Zyl 02/27/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Bernard Wilson 02/27/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Stuart McCulloch 02/27/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason Dillon 02/27/2011