Skip to main content

[Hudson-Dev] Re: How should fork neutral plug-ins cope with the new infrastructure ?

  • From: Jason van Zyl <jason@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [Hudson-Dev] Re: How should fork neutral plug-ins cope with the new infrastructure ?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 05:34:03 -0500

If we could agree on using Maven repositories, with some standard additional metadata, then this should be very doable.

On Feb 7, 2011, at 2:55 AM, Asgeir Storesund Nilsen wrote:

I think this is an excellent starting point for an update center manager, either in form of a Nexus plugin or something standalone, that could pull from multiple upstream update centers and / or Maven repositories.

This would be very useful for enterprise deployments where you either have internal plugins or simply want to have some sorts of internal testing before making plugins or updates available.

Asgeir

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 05:00, Jason van Zyl <jason@...> wrote:
I think ultimately that Hudson and Jenkins will have Nexus instances, so we could make update sites normal Maven repos then we could easily make the aggregation available as a Nexus group. I don't think folks want to deploy to both repos. Deploying to one should be enough.

On Feb 6, 2011, at 10:57 PM, Andrew Bayer wrote:

In re: getting into the update center - to get into the Jenkins update center, all you need to do is get your plugin into a Maven repo (we'll be looking in both our own repository and the java.net repository) and it'll get picked up. Obviously, only plugins built against Hudson 1.395 or earlier, or any release of Jenkins, will show up in the Jenkins update center, since there's no guarantee that plugins built against post-rename versions of Hudson will be compatible with Jenkins/1.395-or-earlier Hudson.

A.

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Henrik Lynggaard <henrik.lynggaard@...> wrote:
Hi

The subjects sums up the question nicely but let me elaborate a bit..

I have just created a new plugin, which I plan to release as open
source. In order to be fork neutral I would like to host the source
code separate from both hudson and jenkins. I have talked to both
sides and they both seems fine with the idea.
So now all that is left is the practical stuff ;-)

* How do I release to the hudson update site and wiki?
* How about issue tracker ? having one at both places is fine for now,
but how do I get the jira component created ?

Best regards
henrik

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

[Hudson-Dev] How should fork neutral plug-ins cope with the new infrastructure ?

Henrik Lynggaard 02/06/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: How should fork neutral plug-ins cope with the new infrastructure ?

Jason van Zyl 02/07/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: How should fork neutral plug-ins cope with the new infrastructure ?

Winston Prakash 02/07/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: How should fork neutral plug-ins cope with the new infrastructure ?

Andrew Bayer 02/07/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: How should fork neutral plug-ins cope with the new infrastructure ?

Jason van Zyl 02/07/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: How should fork neutral plug-ins cope with the new infrastructure ?

Asgeir Storesund Nilsen 02/07/2011