Skip to main content

[Hudson-Dev] PLugins and changes in Jenkins Core [was Re: Questions re governance and control]

  • From: James Nord <teilo@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [Hudson-Dev] PLugins and changes in Jenkins Core [was Re: Questions re governance and control]
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:50:36 +0000

On 24/02/2011 21:16, Jason van Zyl wrote:

On Feb 24, 2011, at 3:51 PM, James Nord wrote:

On 24/02/2011 20:31, Jason van Zyl wrote:
On Feb 24, 2011, at 3:20 PM, <teilo@...> <teilo@...> wrote:

I'll try this again whilst not rushing out the door and leaving
predictive text on..

"We are also in communication with a bunch of the plugin writers who
are interested in keeping their plugins working in both Hudson and
Jenkins."

Which bunch of *plugin writers* would that be as it certainly hasn't
included me (m2 release)

The two that I saw today were:

Build Pipeline:

Sonar Plugin:

Both specifically supporting both Hudson and Jenkins.

Ok - maybe a bit more context...
Currently the source is in java.net svn - it is to me migrated to github jenkinsci (jenkinsci will be the primary target from now as we use Nectar).

The next release has a bug that needs to be fixed in the core - I am about to make that change in Jenkins.
As such I will declare the parent of my plugin to the the hpi of the fixed jenkins version.

So - this will I presume lock out Hudson users (as the hpi is built against the jenkins parent not the pre split/fork/rename/whatever Hudson.)

So given that I would also need to put the equiv fix into Hudson (and would require me to do more work by writing a Unit / integration test for this) where do I go?

1) the fix would need to go into core as it is a core bug.
2) somehow my plugin needs to get to both update centers and the version of jenkins != version of Hudson (due to differeing release versions/timescales)

(The core bug is that it does not set and expose M2_HOME as an environment variable to the Maven2 type job, nor does it prepend M2_HOME to the path.

I don't think anything about the HPI will cause a problem per se, I think much of that could be worked out. But if you are relying on changes in the core then there's not much you can do. I don't think you should have to do any extra work.

But I think your problem is exacerbated by the fact that Hudson's core is currently not very modular. A fix in the Maven functionality should really be partitioned and should have not required something in the core. At any rate if a user popped and wanted to use your plugin but needed to use Hudson then we would probably make the fix,

Its one of the more popular plugins (about 7% of installations use it).
Anyway - if you want to pick it up and run with it the fix (pretty simple) is here
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/commit/b0b06b515ba4471a1ec6fec77d96efc71935b2b9

But even if you put that fix (or something like it) in Hudson - I still am unaware how Hudson would safely consume my plugin?

Regards,

    /James

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

(continued)

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Richard Bywater 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Vincent Latombe 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jaanek Oja 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Joe Bowbeer 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Winston Prakash 02/25/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Charles Rhys 02/26/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

teilo 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason van Zyl 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

James Nord 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason van Zyl 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] PLugins and changes in Jenkins Core [was Re: Questions re governance and control]

James Nord 02/28/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Henrik Lynggaard Hansen 02/24/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Charles Rhys 02/26/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Stuart McCulloch 02/26/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason van Zyl 02/27/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Bernard Wilson 02/27/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Stuart McCulloch 02/27/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason Dillon 02/27/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Stuart McCulloch 02/27/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

James Nord 02/28/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Questions re governance and control

Jason Dillon 02/28/2011