Skip to main content

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

  • From: Andrew Bayer <andrew.bayer@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Subject: [Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 19:05:05 -0800

The current system for Jenkins will continue to look for hpi artifacts in the java.net repository as well as the Jenkins repository.

A.

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@...> wrote:
On Feb 10, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Henrik Lynggaard Hansen wrote:

Hi

My last thread about the subject got a little side tracked by a interesting discussion about the future and split development. I would like to take the discussion back to a more practical focus as I have a very practical problem to solve

I have a new plugin which is almost ready for releasing and I would like it included in both hudson and jenkins update centers.
- To ensure compatibility the plug-in is compiled against Hudson 1.395 and will remain so for the foreseeable future
- The code is MIT license
- The code is placed at a neutral 3. party namely: https://bitbucket.org/henriklynggaard/prereq-buildstep-plugin/overview

The questions are:
- I would like to have the plugin listed in the two jira instance but I don't want to duplicate my efforts. Is there a way of auto syncing, or could the two sides come to an agreement of using same jira instance but different projects ? Until I find a better solution the issue tracker will be the one in bitbucket.
- The same goes for the wiki. For now I think the bets option would be to have a simple placeholder page in both hudson and jenkins pointing to the bitbucket wiki

- What to do about releasing and getting the plugin into the update center ?

I was thinking that the easiest thing for plugin developers would be for you to deploy your plugin to Maven Central and then we can make sure the metadata about the plugin is available for use with Hudson and Jenkins. We already have the infrastructure in place and are supporting 800 different OSS projects deploying to Nexus OSS. We have a plugin already for scanning and making available Maven Archetypes. We could easily do the same for Hudson Plugins. I think ultimately this is where I would like to propose that Hudson plugin developers deploy to. Deploy to Maven Central like all other OSS projects and we'll figure it out from there.

Best regards
Henrik

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

To do two things at once is to do neither.

 -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

(continued)

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Jason van Zyl 02/10/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Winston Prakash 02/10/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

J. David Beutel 02/10/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Stuart McCulloch 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Jeff Jensen 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Jeff Jensen 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Jason van Zyl 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Jason van Zyl 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

J. David Beutel 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Jason van Zyl 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Andrew Bayer 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Jason van Zyl 02/11/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Fork neutral plug-in and infrastructure, the practical issues

Slide 02/11/2011