Skip to main content

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Hudson Build 1.398 is now available

  • From: Winston Prakash <winston.prakash@...>
  • To: dev@...
  • Cc: Duncan Mills <duncan.mills@...>, users@...
  • Subject: [Hudson-Dev] Re: Hudson Build 1.398 is now available
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:56:31 -0700

To elaborate on skipping 1.397 ..

The biggest advantage I see on using OSS Nexus for releasing Hudson is the ability to stage the release first. This gives an opportunity to test the staging before releasing it to maven central as explained here.

We have a test server setup to which the staged release is installed and any regressions are monitored actively. I'll let Geoff who leads the QA part of the release to explain more in details. Here is the gist of the setup

- The test server mimics some of the production servers with all the master-slave configuration
- Tier1 (~5) and Tier2 (~20) plugins are installed to make sure they all still work
(Geoff is going to add more test jobs and configuring them to include more of these plugins functionalities for further test spin of the plugins)

Installing and running the staged release in this test server and monitoring the jobs builds gives us added confidence in testing the fix of very elusive bugs like Remoting related bugs.

While we were releasing 1.397 the test server was being setup and we released it solely based on test-harness results. Fortunately the test server was commissioned on time to catch the issues and help us to pull back the 1.397 release quickly.

We allowed to run 1.398 on the test server for few days and released with added confidence.

- Winston
All,
We're happy to announce the availability of Hudson 1.398, now available for download from hudson-ci.org.
This release introduces streamlining of the plugin development and release process as explained in the Hudson wiki[1]. Additionally more infrastructure cleanup has been done and bugs are fixed in the Emma and Perforce plugins amongst others. For more information check out the changelog on the website[2].
You'll notice that 1.397 has been skipped. In this case, some of the additional testing we've started to introduce, detected some issues with 1.397 after it was deployed into Maven Central. This release fixes those problems and incorporates all of the fixes that where slated for that release.

From now on in we plan to be following the development cycle as proposed[3] with a 4 week development sprint, followed by a week of pre-stage testing and a further week of integration testing. This will resolve out to a new release on hudson-ci every 5 weeks.

Well done to everyone involved - Enjoy!
Duncan

[1] http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Releasing+Hudson+Plugin
[2] http://hudson-ci.org/changelog.html
[3] http://hudson-ci.org/docs/hudson_release_process.html

[Hudson-Dev] Hudson Build 1.398 is now available

Duncan Mills 03/14/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Hudson Build 1.398 is now available

Winston Prakash 03/15/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Hudson Build 1.398 is now available

James Nord 03/15/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Hudson Build 1.398 is now available

Winston Prakash 03/15/2011

[Hudson-Dev] Re: Hudson Build 1.398 is now available

Geoff Waymark 03/17/2011