Skip to main content

iControlon Ubuntu?

3 posts   Feedicon  
Replies: 2 - Last Post: March 24, 2014 23:48
by: ddemos
« Older Topic » Newer Topic
showing 1 - 3 of 3
Posted: March 23, 2014 08:49 by ddemos

Hi, is it possible to use iControl on Ubuntu 12.04? iControl seems to run fine on Ubuntu but cannot access the instrument from GPIB. I have the linux-gpib drivers compiled and installed along with python bindings and am able to talk to the instrument from a python script OK. Is there a way to get iControl to use this driver? Thanks.

Dave :-)

Posted: March 23, 2014 12:01 by Kurt
Hi Dave,

in theory iC should work on linux, but I could never get hold of a linux machine to test myself. Since you do not get an error message that linking to libgpibapi.so failed, I suspect that the variable assignment to some variables in libgpibapi.so fails. I experienced something similar on MacOS where the variables are exported with different names than on Windows machines.

If you feel comfortable looking into the code, you could check GPIB_NI.LoadNative around line 793 and try if (Platform.isMac() || Platform.isLinux() ) ... works.

When trying to port iC to Win7/64 bit I experienced another problem which I still could not yet fix, namely that calling the dll just did not work, and the UnitDescriptor in GPIB_NI.Open() on line 917 did not return a meaningful value. You could also check here if calling the libgpibapi.so works.

-Kurt
Posted: March 24, 2014 23:48 by ddemos

Thanks Kurt for your reply, most kind. I will get the source and have a look although I believe it to be over my head. I will keep tabs on the project, perhaps a future version will support the linux-gpib drivers.

Dave Smile
Replies: 2 - Last Post: March 24, 2014 23:48
by: ddemos
« Older Topic » Newer Topic

Close
Please Confirm
Close