Skip to main content

[jsr342-experts] Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)

  • From: Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves@...>
  • To: users@...
  • Cc: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr342-experts] Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 12:21:37 +0100

I remember back on the Java EE 6 expert group we talked about having a "minimal profile" with only Servlet & JSPs (I remember Rod Johnson being interested in such profile, Roberto Chinicci even wrote a few blog posts about it : http://weblogs.java.net/blog/robc/archive/2008/02/profiles_in_the_1.html).

I have a few concerns with this. First of all, JSPs are not evolving : it is a poor UI framework (no Ajax and so on) and is not a templating fwk either. Second, except if I'm missed something on Servlet 3.1, we don't have a simple controller to build MVC web apps. With just Servlets and JSPs, we miss the controller. I remember that the JAX-RS 1.1 and Servlet 3.0 expert group talked about it, but I think nothing happened.

For me, such a minimal profile would make sense with a proper templating framework, _expression_ Language and a simple servlet controller (à la Spring MVC).

My 2 cents

Antonio

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 08:03, Jason Porter <lightguard.jp@...> wrote:

I'd also like to suggest a simple Servlet or Basic profile. It would include servlets, JSP, EL, CDI and JAX-RS. Essentially tomcat / jetty with CDI and JAX-RS integrated. This would give a very powerful programming environment (namely CDI and JAX-RS) as a strong base and also allow our friends developing tomcat and jetty to join in and be a Java EE compliant server! Oh, and JSF would then run purely in a Java EE environment, no more "pseudo EE container" aka Servlet container.

[jsr342-experts] Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)

Antonio Goncalves 02/23/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)

Werner Keil 02/23/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)

Werner Keil 02/23/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)

reza_rahman@... 02/23/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)

Jason T. Greene 02/23/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)

Werner Keil 02/23/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Servlet Profile (was JAX-RS and the Web Profile)

Jeff Genender 02/23/2012