Skip to main content

[jsr342-experts] Minimal profile ?

  • From: Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr342-experts] Minimal profile ?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 23:34:31 +0200

Hi all,

Four years ago, when we were building Java EE 6, we had this idea of a minimal profile that Roberto blogged about (http://weblogs.java.net/blog/robc/archive/2008/02/profiles_in_the.html). The idea was to standardise "Tomcat-like" application servers with a minimal profile containing Servlets and JSPs. So we would have had this "minimal" profile, the web profile and the full one. We mostly voted no on this minimal profile, and I was one of them.

I've spent the week migrating a JSF 1.2 application running on Tomcat to JBoss 6 EAP (which comes with JSF 2.0). Now I'm trying to run an application with JAX-RS 2.0 running on GlassFish 3.x (which comes with JAX-RS 1.1). On both cases, it's hell. This would be easier if I could have used a JBoss 6 EAP Minimal Profile (or a GlassFish 3.x Minimal Profile) and bundle my own external jars like I do with Tomcat. If we want applications to migrate to Java EE application servers, one ease of use would be to have just a servlet container. And it will give a nice migration plan to application : e.g. "migrate from Tomcat to JBoss Minimal profile, and then when you are used to your new application server, move to a Web Profile and start adding other Java EE modules".

I think having a new "Minimal Profile" (a better name would be a "Servlet Profile" with just Servlets, EL and JSP) would increase modularity in application servers and help applications to migrate to Java EE.

What would you think of introducing a new profile in Java EE 7 ?

Antonio

[jsr342-experts] Minimal profile ?

Antonio Goncalves 06/29/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?