Skip to main content

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 23:46:16 +0200

Antonio,

Interesting idea. How big is the difference between what you propose and the Web Profile, e.g. the TomEE server meets?

EE 7 could offer a limited set of Modularity, but when the decision was made to drop Modularity from the Java 7 Platform due to the complications and challenges, the OpenJDK team is facing up until this day, I was among the first to point out the negative impact this would have on EE to then Spec Lead Roberto, and others, particularly EC Members present.
Further Modularity or additional profiles may only work if the foundation really became modular. We hope and trust that's going to be EE8 or any EE that can use Java (8) Modularity.

Werner

Am 29.06.2012 23:35 schrieb "Antonio Goncalves" <antonio.goncalves@...>:
Hi all,

Four years ago, when we were building Java EE 6, we had this idea of a minimal profile that Roberto blogged about (http://weblogs.java.net/blog/robc/archive/2008/02/profiles_in_the.html). The idea was to standardise "Tomcat-like" application servers with a minimal profile containing Servlets and JSPs. So we would have had this "minimal" profile, the web profile and the full one. We mostly voted no on this minimal profile, and I was one of them.

I've spent the week migrating a JSF 1.2 application running on Tomcat to JBoss 6 EAP (which comes with JSF 2.0). Now I'm trying to run an application with JAX-RS 2.0 running on GlassFish 3.x (which comes with JAX-RS 1.1). On both cases, it's hell. This would be easier if I could have used a JBoss 6 EAP Minimal Profile (or a GlassFish 3.x Minimal Profile) and bundle my own external jars like I do with Tomcat. If we want applications to migrate to Java EE application servers, one ease of use would be to have just a servlet container. And it will give a nice migration plan to application : e.g. "migrate from Tomcat to JBoss Minimal profile, and then when you are used to your new application server, move to a Web Profile and start adding other Java EE modules".

I think having a new "Minimal Profile" (a better name would be a "Servlet Profile" with just Servlets, EL and JSP) would increase modularity in application servers and help applications to migrate to Java EE.

What would you think of introducing a new profile in Java EE 7 ?

Antonio

[jsr342-experts] Minimal profile ?

Antonio Goncalves 06/29/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?