Skip to main content

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?

  • From: Jim Knutson <knutson@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:34:42 -0500

Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves@...> wrote on 06/29/2012 04:34:31 PM:
> I've spent the week migrating a JSF 1.2 application running on
> Tomcat to JBoss 6 EAP (which comes with JSF 2.0). Now I'm trying to
> run an application with JAX-RS 2.0 running on GlassFish 3.x (which
> comes with JAX-RS 1.1). On both cases, it's hell.

That's one of the reasons I didn't want JSF as part of the Web Profile, but it's
too late now.

I still say that a minimal profile with just the servlet container is not a
platform.  There's no value in defining a platform that has next to nothing
in it.  You basically can't count on anything being there and you are forced
into building your own server or bundling everything in the app.

The only reasonable chance we have to solve the integration problem has been
to include modularity in the architecture.  I've been saying this for several
releases now and we are yet again putting it off.

I'm not interested in a minimal profile hack.

Jim Knutson
WebSphere Java EE Architect

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?

Jim Knutson 07/24/2012