Skip to main content

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 19:33:38 +0200

Actually the systems mentioned are on EE5 level, JRules might be a bit behind, pretty much where ILOG left it.
And from what JSR 331 Spec Lead Jacob Feldman heard, there doesn't seem to be much going on there, it sounded to him as if IBM wanted to donate large portions to Open Source.
Maybe that way using not only JSRs like 331 some of these components behaved better, too;-)
It won't help much if you have a great container, but older or badly written apps don't behave accordingly.

Sure, if a minimal profile had no JSF or JPA, each app could bring its own, but at the price of giant archives and no reusability of common frameworks.

Am 24.07.2012 19:19 schrieb "Jim Knutson" <knutson@...>:
Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves@...> wrote on 06/29/2012 04:34:31 PM:
> I've spent the week migrating a JSF 1.2 application running on
> Tomcat to JBoss 6 EAP (which comes with JSF 2.0). Now I'm trying to
> run an application with JAX-RS 2.0 running on GlassFish 3.x (which
> comes with JAX-RS 1.1). On both cases, it's hell.

That's one of the reasons I didn't want JSF as part of the Web Profile, but it's
too late now.

I still say that a minimal profile with just the servlet container is not a
platform.  There's no value in defining a platform that has next to nothing
in it.  You basically can't count on anything being there and you are forced
into building your own server or bundling everything in the app.

The only reasonable chance we have to solve the integration problem has been
to include modularity in the architecture.  I've been saying this for several
releases now and we are yet again putting it off.

I'm not interested in a minimal profile hack.

Thanks,
Jim Knutson
WebSphere Java EE Architect

[jsr342-experts] Re: Minimal profile ?