Skip to main content

[jsr342-experts] Re: Platform SPI for determining service availability

  • From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr342-experts] Re: Platform SPI for determining service availability
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:48:16 -0800

Normally I would expect reflection to be used to access the class from the other spec that you would use, if it were there.  Are there cases where that's not sufficient?

Jim Knutson wrote on 12/12/12 11:22:

We have a number of specs that are now defining requirements along the lines of "when running in an environment that supports XYZ specification, you must do blah blah blah."  However, there is no common way to determine if an environment actually supports XYZ.

In a modular runtime, we could get notified when a specific service was registered in a service registry.  Maybe someday we will get there, but in the meantime, is there some common pattern we can use to declare that XYZ is available in the environment?  Possibilities that come to mind are well known JNDI name strings or system properties.  A more sophisticated pattern would be to bind an SPI to the JNDI name that provided state (i.e. the service is initializing or ready to receive requests).  Anyway, I think it would be nice if we could come up with a more portable way to deal with these "optional" behaviors defined in the specs.

Thanks,
Jim Knutson
WebSphere Java EE Architect

[jsr342-experts] Platform SPI for determining service availability

Jim Knutson 12/12/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Platform SPI for determining service availability

Bill Shannon 12/12/2012