Skip to main content

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

  • From: Jim Knutson <knutson@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 14:06:05 -0600

Pete Muir <pmuir@...> wrote on 12/13/2012 07:57:28 AM:
> >> OPEN ISSUE: Should auto-discover be false by default for
> beans.xml with version 1.1. This would mean that adding a beans.xml
> would have no impact on discovery for 1.1 apps, however it is a
> significant change from 1.0.
> >
> > No, please keep this in line with 1.0 behavior. If I think of the many
> > lightweight migrated applications that rely on backward compatibility:
> > Please don't change it!
>
> Note this would only be for beans.xml with the version attribute
> updated to 1.1 so it wouldn't happen without a user actively doing
> something. They could upgrade to the 1.1 schema, and set auto-
> discover to all to keep CDI 1.0 behavior (we would make the auto-
> discover attribute or element required).

I worry about making behavior decisions based on "DD" versions.  It would
be better to make an explicit metadata declaration to change behavior.
Changing a version is necessary for syntax (i.e. I need to specify
additional metadata not supported in the current version, not for
behavior.  Using a version change to modify behavior is like programming
with side effects.  It will come back to bite you at some point.

Thanks,
Jim Knutson
WebSphere Java EE Architect

[jsr342-experts] Proposal for global CDI enablement

Pete Muir 12/11/2012

Message not available

[jsr342-experts] Fwd: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Markus Eisele 12/13/2012

Message not available

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Pete Muir 12/13/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Markus Eisele 12/13/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Jim Knutson 12/14/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Bill Shannon 12/14/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Jason Greene 12/14/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Jason Greene 12/14/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Bill Shannon 12/13/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Pete Muir 12/14/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Bill Shannon 12/14/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Pete Muir 12/14/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Bill Shannon 12/15/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Pete Muir 12/17/2012

[jsr342-experts] Re: Proposal for global CDI enablement

Bill Shannon 12/18/2012