Skip to main content

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 16:00:42 +0100

Antonio,

Beside Modularization (Jigsaw vs. OSGi,...) with Logging you just put your finger into a very big, bleeding wound
In fact, the way you mentioned an example configuration, log levels are tightly coupled to modules, though it doesn't matter so much in this respect if those are managed via OSGi like several app servers do or other mechanisms. What does matter and it is the case with Java EE and several JSRs or components, is that the logging framework considered available was of course java.util.logging. And other projects often disregarded that either because they know or like Log4J, and others better (I am not getting into the discussion which is better or why, that's a whole thread of itself)

Fact is, let's assume, a Java EE server or project/app XYZ chose Log4J, SLF4J or even their own home-grown logging framework, they still have at least 1, 2 or more additional frameworks the runtime carries along. At least java.util.logging which until proper and useful modularization is in place nobody gets rid of. Thus, if you look at it like that, for Java EE it is the de facto standard that's always available, whether you like it or not.

Werner

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Antonio Goncalves <antonio.goncalves@...> wrote:
Hi all,

We are in 2012 and I just spent a few hours trying to display the logs of an application on GlassFish 3.1.2 and JBoss 7.1.0 (and it's not the first time in my career). Modules to exclude in one, jars to add in the WEB-INF/lib on the other... or to exclude. And of course, that's just my application Log4j logs. If I want to have more logs on javax.ejb I need to setup a different file in JBoss and another one in GlassFish.

I know javax.util.logging exists in Java SE but nobody tends to use it (despite GlassFish uses it and JBoss has a brand new logger that wraps java.util.logging), I know we can happily choose from 10 fashionable brand new logging frameworks... but really, it's a pain. Every application uses logs. Every framework uses logs. Every Java EE spec implementation uses logs. For an application to be portable across app servers, for a configuration file to be portable across Java EE specs, we should do something.

I would love to write :

javax.ejb.level = debug
javax.persistence.level = debug
org.weld.level = debug
my.app.level = debug

Add this config file under WEB-INF/classes and don't worry about anything else... and have the same behavior under GlassFish, JBoss or whatever.

Logging frameworks have been a battle since day one and it's one of the things that make me feel the Java ecosystem is too complex and is slowly fading from developers/ops concerns. Gosh, I just want to display some logs, why do I have to choose from 10 different frameworks and why should I battle with app server configuration.

Isn't it the role of the Java EE spec to make the other spec agree to a standard ? And what about logging ?

Antonio

--

Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member (ME) | Eclipse UOMo Lead

Twitter @wernerkeil | #Java_Social | #EclipseUOMo | #OpenDDR

Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil

* geecon: May 16 2012, Poznań, Poland. Werner Keil, JCP EC Member, Social JSR Co-Spec Lead will present "Java EE 7"

* JustJava: May 19-20 2012, Sao Paulo, Brazil. Werner Keil, JCP EC Member, Social JSR Co-Spec Lead will present "Java Social"

* Dutch Mobile Conference: June 7-9 2012, Amsterdam, Netherlands. Werner Keil, JCP EC (ME) Member, OpenDDR Evangelist will present "OpenDDR"

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Antonio Goncalves 03/09/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 03/09/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Antonio Goncalves 03/09/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Jason T. Greene 03/09/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Markus Eisele 03/09/2012