Skip to main content

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: allowing stereotypes to be used more widely

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: allowing stereotypes to be used more widely
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 09:21:06 +0200

David,

Thanks for the example.
Especially @Schedule most likely would be a candidate for EE8, given a new Date/Time API won't be available before Java 8.
We discussed that in the State Management EG, where states being valid for a certain period face similar issues and requirements.

Werner

Am 01.09.2012 02:39 schrieb "David Blevins" <david.blevins@...>:
General note on duplication.  We have duplication already.

Really the question is how do we address the duplication or if we address it.

The annotation inheritance concept exists in other specifications such as Bean Validation and JAX-RS.  Here's how JAX-RS defines @POST, as a Stereotype/Metatype of @HttpMethod.

   @Target(value=METHOD)
   @Retention(value=RUNTIME)
   @HttpMethod(value="POST")
   public @interface POST

The only thing missing is @Stereotype/@Metatype.

If we want to do this in more specifications, for example in EJB add

   @Target(value=METHOD)
   @Retention(value=RUNTIME)
   @Schedule(second = "0", minute = "0", hour = "*", month = "*", dayOfWeek = "*", year = "*")
   public @interface Hourly

How would we want to do that?

Fundamentally there are three options:

  a) address duplication by requiring @Stereotype and CDI dependency
  b) address duplication by introducing one more duplicate (let's be fair), @Something in a common annotation or new spec
  c) don't address duplication, specifications can duplicate the reuse concept, some require CDI some do not

-David

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: allowing stereotypes to be used more widely

David Blevins 09/01/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: allowing stereotypes to be used more widely

Werner Keil 09/01/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: allowing stereotypes to be used more widely

David Blevins 09/04/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: allowing stereotypes to be used more widely

Werner Keil 09/04/2012

<Possible follow-up(s)>

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: allowing stereotypes to be used more widely

Bill Shannon 09/21/2012