Skip to main content

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

  • From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 12:47:21 -0700

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're proposing...

If you're proposing a new logging framework to replace java.util.logging, then, well, I can't speak for the JDK team but I think you need to engage with them in the OpenJDK project to see what they would think of that.  I have a hard time believing that java.util.logging is so broken it can't be made better and has to be replaced.

If you're proposing something specific to Java EE that works with or layers on java.util.logging, then I need to understand it better before I can support it.

In either case, you should note that the track record of individuals delivering successful JSRs through the JCP is very poor.  Delivering a JSR is a significant amount of work, usually much more work than any single person can do.  I would be very skeptical of any individual, or even some loosely affiliated open source project, being able to deliver a JSR successfully.  It requires a lot of hard work that isn't just the "fun" part of writing the code.  It's not impossible, but there aren't many existence proofs.  Oracle "supporting" the JSR is not going to change that.  It's not (just) about motivation or commitment, it's about resources.

Antonio Goncalves wrote on 09/07/12 05:29:
Hi everybody,

Just to let you know that my blog has been viewed by 1401 people in the last 24 hours and I've received many tweets and comments... mostly by developers who struggle on a day to day basis with logs.

Bill, Linda, shall we go a little bit further and have Oracle clearly support this effort ? I think individual developers are scared to put their finger into the JCP : it's much easier to create a GitHub repository and create a new/funny logging framework than fill JSPA forms to become spec lead. If you think this Logging API JSR is important (inside Java EE 7 or not, that's not the issue now, but just to have a JSR), then it would encourage developers if you would publicly (blog ? tweet ?)  support the idea and encourage them to become spec lead.

What do you think ?

Antonio

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
...will be, it hasn't happened yet, sorry.

--
Antonio Goncalves
Software architect and Java Champion

Web site | TwitterLinkedInParis JUG | Devoxx France

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Antonio Goncalves 09/06/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 09/06/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 09/06/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Antonio Goncalves 09/06/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Markus Eisele 09/07/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 09/07/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 09/07/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Antonio Goncalves 09/07/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 09/07/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Bill Shannon 09/07/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Laird Nelson 09/07/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 09/07/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Antonio Goncalves 09/09/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Bill Shannon 09/10/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Jevgeni Kabanov 09/10/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 09/10/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Antonio Goncalves 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Werner Keil 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Markus Eisele 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: Logs. Should we finally do something ?

Bill Shannon 09/11/2012