Skip to main content

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jsr342-experts@...
  • Subject: [javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:00:53 +0200

I agree, especially for smaller server vendors, the license fee for Websockets could be kind of an issue, so if they want to spare either themselves or their customers that (or some) it makes sense to keep that optional, too.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Jim Knutson <knutson@...> wrote:

Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote on 09/11/2012 08:00:43 AM:
> +1

> Batch makes little sense for Web.

> While Web Socket may put license issues on certain vendors (at least
> smaller web server companies) the way it helps with async processes
> certainly makes it valuable for Web Profile, if you want to avoid
> fully fledged Enterprise alternatives like EJB or JMS for that.

> Werner

Note, there's a difference between being able to provide web sockets
and being required to provide web sockets.  Is web sockets really
something that is required by most (80% case) app deployments?

There's nothing that prevents someone from adding it to a web
profile compliant server and yes that certainly helps avoid a
full EE server, but the web profile is not intended to be the new
lite EE platform.  At least I didn't think so.

Thanks,
Jim Knutson
WebSphere Java EE Architect

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Linda DeMichiel 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Markus Eisele 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Werner Keil 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Jim Knutson 09/12/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Werner Keil 09/12/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Pete Muir 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Werner Keil 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Linda DeMichiel 09/11/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Antonio Goncalves 09/12/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Jim Knutson 09/12/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Werner Keil 09/12/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Linda DeMichiel 09/17/2012

[javaee-spec users] [jsr342-experts] Re: new JSRs for inclusion in the Java EE Platform

Jeff Genender 09/17/2012