Skip to main content

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

  • From: michael keith <michael.keith@...>
  • To: Markus Eisele <myfear@...>
  • Cc: users@..., Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@...>, Linda DeMichiel <linda.demichiel@...>, Java EE Expert-Group <jsr342-experts@...>
  • Subject: [javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 08:53:10 -0500

On 30/11/2012 1:34 AM, Markus Eisele wrote:
Hi Michael,
Thanks for your feedback, and indeed for all of your active contributions to
the group.
That is why I am here :) And honestly I'm addicted to Java EE ;)
You might want to see a doctor about that...
The point was to see if we could get a decent bang from an inexpensive buck.
A good approach. Very pragmatical. But I'm still not in favor for it.
Bottom line for me
is, that it will not change anything significantly.
Apparently I didn't do a very good job explaining the intention. We were not trying to make a significant change or add a significant feature. Just look for ways to solve specific problems that people were having and that modularity *would have solved* if we had it.
Providing me with references reminding me of my previous failed attempts to
get some kind of modularity into EE were unnecessarily just turning the
knife, however ;-)
Wasn't meant to be like this. Sorry. I'm a strong supporter of "having
modularity" in the platform.
But I don't want to see a minute spend on things that "only look like"
and don't truly change anything.
I said that in jest about the earlier efforts which really were about modularity, but again, at this stage we were not trying to add anything that looks like modularity or that even pretends to fill that gap. Rather, we were seeing if people wanted to solve an existing problem in a conventional non-modular way. Perhaps we should not be spending a minute more talking about it, though, if there is no interest in doing it :-)
As I said, I believe it would be a good idea to start with kind of a
"draft requirement document" to collect all the ideas and wishes that
are around.
We could also put it on java.net and develop this further until we
finally reach the point when there is either time or SE modularization

WDYT?
Feel free, it's an open site :-)
As for me, given that only three people felt the need to reply, and two of them were against the idea, I will interpret this as a lack of desire to pursue it (which is fine since it's one less thing that I will have on my work plate) and at this point there are other fish that I want to spend my time frying (such as EE configuration).

-Mike

Gruss

[javaee-spec users] bundle overriding

michael keith 11/28/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

David M. Lloyd 11/28/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

michael keith 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

David M. Lloyd 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

michael keith 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

Markus Eisele 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

michael keith 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

Markus Eisele 11/30/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Re: Re: bundle overriding

Werner Keil 11/30/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

michael keith 11/30/2012