Skip to main content

[javaee-spec users] bundle overriding

  • From: michael keith <michael.keith@...>
  • To: Java EE spec Users <users@...>
  • Cc: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@...>, Linda DeMichiel <linda.demichiel@...>
  • Subject: [javaee-spec users] bundle overriding
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 14:56:48 -0500

As you know, modularity was recently deferred from SE 8 (and transitively from EE 8), but since there will now be a longer delay before core modularity can be leveraged, a few people were wondering if the spec could provide some specific solutions to some of the more dominant problems that developers are facing now. The most common one that modularity would have solved is the "conflicting library problem". This is when there exists a version of a library that is bundled with the application but conflicts with a different version of the library used by the server and that is exposed on the server classpath.

One way to solve this would be to provide a way for an application to indicate that a bundled library is to be placed on the classpath *logically ahead* of all server libraries. Most app servers offer some proprietary solution to this problem, but there is currently no portable way of doing it. If folks are agreeable then we would like to standardize a solution in EE 7. We would first like to get your input as to whether it is worth doing this, though.

In conjunction with the above question there is an additional question relating to the limitation that we would need to impose in this initial solution. Given that a) the majority of problem occurrences are due to 3rd party libraries being exposed by the server, and b) overriding a Java EE API library is going to introduce a larger problem space than what we would likely be able to solve in the time remaining in Java EE, do you think it is worth providing a soution in EE 7 if that solution was limited to 3rd party libraries and did not include support for overriding Java EE APIs? Or, would you prefer to leave it until the next release and include support for both, or even wait until EE 9 when modularity will allow a more encompassing solution?

If enough people would like to solve the limited scope probem in EE 7 then we will follow up with a proposal and some additional questions.

[javaee-spec users] bundle overriding

michael keith 11/28/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

David M. Lloyd 11/28/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

michael keith 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

David M. Lloyd 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

michael keith 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

Markus Eisele 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

michael keith 11/29/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

Markus Eisele 11/30/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: [jsr342-experts] Re: Re: bundle overriding

Werner Keil 11/30/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: bundle overriding

michael keith 11/30/2012