Skip to main content

[javaee-spec users] Re: [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing

  • From: Adam Walczak <me@...>
  • To: users <users@...>
  • Subject: [javaee-spec users] Re: [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 03:46:34 +0100

Some other comments from DZome.

Grzegorz Grzybek:

Decouple Facelets from JSF and even HTTP to make it a general XML/STML templating language. Almost every web applications sends HTML emails for example and we have no standard way to generate them.

There are such templating engines as Velocity, Freemarker or (recent, very active and promising) Thymeleaf. Thymeleaf may be used outside any container and allows for natural templating - i.e., writing templates that will look the same when opened both from local disk and in working application. As for facelets - if it were decoupled from JSF (maybe that's possible?) it could be used as template engine... regards Grzegorz Grzybek

My response:

Yes I know. I even experimented with Freemarker + RestEasy + Seam Rest. Nice combo.

But this also proves that the topic of tempting engines is mature enough to include it in the standard. I think that Facelets would be the way to go in JavaEE. The implementation is already there. It just has the design flaw of being hardwired to Servlets, HTTP, JSF, etc.

--
Adam Walczak
www.adamwalczak.info

[javaee-spec users] [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing

Adam Walczak 12/17/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing

Adam Walczak 12/17/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing

hantsy 12/17/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing

Pete Muir 12/17/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing

Kito Mann 12/17/2012

[javaee-spec users] Re: [JAX-RS vs JSF] Why having two web app frameworks is not a bad thing

Adam Walczak 12/18/2012