Skip to main content

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jcurrency_mail@...
  • Subject: [JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:12:24 +0100

That Subset of Java 8 and JEP (http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/161) isn't about ME (CLDC) but SE Embedded, to run on Raspberry PI or the TV Set Top Boxes by ToTVS, Sky (I know by a former team mate, they even added fancy stuff like Generics to JDK 1.4, but eventially those will use CDC, too) and many others.

As per those JEPs, in SE 8 Embedded, java.time is also too fat and won't be included.
Meaning it won't be used, and you can't ignore, that the user and installation base shifts from desktop to other, smaller formats. That doesn't have to be a 1MB RAM match box, but at the moment, the package coming from 310 is targeted towards fully blown SE and EE only.

Hence, you gave them an EE JSR hoping to create an SE one

Werner

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@...> wrote:
On 29 January 2013 10:52, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
> For the sake of modularity which everything under Java 9 must obey, I
> would not throw Exchange into the same package or basket as Money and
> Currency. That destroys a valuable precondition towards SE 9. And should
> profiles of mobile platforms wish to pick some module at their own
> discretion and timeframe, it also better be modular.

Modularity has been dropped from JDK 1.7 and JDK 1.8. There are no
guarantees that it will ever happen, especially now that JDK 1.8
profiles perform the task Oracle need with much less hassle.

This JSR should design a simple API for SE, probably 8 to 15 classes
with interfaces that allow extension beyond.

Worrying about JavaME is wasted effort IMO.

Stephen

[JSR-354] Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Anatole Tresch 01/28/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Anatole Tresch 01/28/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Jeremy 01/28/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Anatole Tresch 01/28/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Stephen Colebourne 01/28/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Tresch Anatole (KFSC 225) 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Stephen Colebourne 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Werner Keil 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Werner Keil 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Stephen Colebourne 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Werner Keil 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Jeremy 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Werner Keil 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Jeremy 01/29/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Werner Keil 01/28/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Werner Keil 01/28/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Basic Considerations - YOUR OPINION IS NEEDED

Anatole Tresch 01/29/2013