Apologies for being quiet for a while, other commitments have kept me busy in the past few weeks.
I’ve updated the EDR draft with some comments, and just pulled down the updated GitHub sources. Hope to get more involved in the coming weeks.
BTW I’m in Singapore, so the timezone here is UTC+08:00.
From: Anatole Tresch [mailto:atsticks@...]
Sent: 29 January 2013 22:26
Subject: [JSR-354] Scope Discussions about JSR 354
I want to summarized things discussed as follows:
- I think there are two main visions: defining all by interfaces and provide some arbitrary RI implementation, or define strong value types and add functionality around it as required. The concept of strong immutable value types for the SE environment makes sense and must be considered. But generally I do not think that these two concepts must not be seen exclusively. This also gives us time to check back things with some representative architect from Oracle what must be considered effectively (@Stephen: would you create the contact or should I go via PMO or OpenJDK core mailing list ? ).
- Nevertheless I do not agree that the value types must be the starting point of thinking. I believe discussing on the interfaces - as we have done now for some weeks - allows us much better to focus and what we really require to model our use cases. Be honest, looking at the discussions from last year, I do not see similar focus on functionality as we have had during the last weeks. Aspects such as separating parts in a SE and some other part or moving some factory methods to some Money type is really not more than 1 day work (plus 1 day spec adaptions). So I want to let this topic now rest as it is for the moment and focus again strictly on the functionality (primarily interface driven).
- ME is not mainly in focus of this JSR. Basically as I mentioned in a mail I think, we have enough to discuss on the SE part. If, of course, our work is useful for ME, then this is great. But I think that porting this JSR must be done in a separate ME targeted JSR.
Additionally, I would like to ask applying for the following rules:
- This expert group is discussing the Java Money JSR. It can not be that it is argued on other specs, like 310. I am not against to take some examples from other JSR's as explanations, but always with a polite sense in mind and "output". We really have to solve some complex questions here and all experts have their well approved background. So I really would like to encourage all of you to actively create a good atmosphere here. Without that good solutions and discussions will probably never be possible.
- Finally if you raise a new discussion topic, please ensure that a new subject line is entered, so the discussions can be better separated out, both for us internally, as well for the observers following us.
So I hope we can now refocus on discussing formatting and parsing... (a mail thread started by me about some days ago).
And again I would like to ask, if we should meet for a Google hangout, so we can get also visually in contact. For setup of a hangout I kindly ask for your preferences in time, so I can send a schedule.
I think the JCP meeting in May in Zurich may also be an option, but I think it would be better not to wait until then.
If I did miss anything let me know ;-).
Thanks and have a nice time.
[JSR-354] Re: Scope Discussions about JSR 354