Skip to main content

[JSR-354] Re: Components

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jcurrency_mail@...
  • Subject: [JSR-354] Re: Components
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:27:19 +0100

Looks good, thanks.

Btw, regarding portability, just to let you know, the CLDC 8 "Umbrella" Profile started today, and the Spec Lead wishes to plan calls and discussions in weekly intervals, so it looks like they want to catch up on a bit of the lost time there, too (keep in mind, that JSR just like 354 also falls under JCP 2.9, so it'll risk Renewal Ballots if nothing happens like an EDR soon

Whether those efforts take place in OpenJDK or another appropriate place, we should be able to contribute to relevant parts.

Most packages and classes are subsets of Java SE 8, javax.microedition is upgraded from the CLDC 1.1.1 spec:

  • java.lang
  • java.lang.ref
  • java.io
  • java.util
Meaning, a scaled down version of java.util.Currency as an RI for a limited part of the JSR (probably no more than the core-api) plus java.util.Money or a similar value type are perfectly in scope here. The platform and those platform JSRs define demand, if CLDC 8 happens before SE 9, so be it, and we can actually focus on a smaller set first, while fleshing other, heavier parts out for SE 9.

Cheers,
Werner

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Tresch Anatole (KFSC 225) <anatole.tresch@...> wrote:

Dear Colleagues

I have defined the components in JIRA as for me should make sense. Feel free to give feedback. In short I’ve defined the following components:

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

(Edit | Delete)

As you see, currently I only am the owner of the specification document. So everybody that wants to take over a basic default component responsibility can  ask for ;-)

Afterwards we have to define also the features and requirements and assign them to the components. Any support in this area is quite welcome!

By the way: the ongoing renewal ballot for this JSR looks good so far. This should allow us to continue effectively with our work.

Regards,

Anatole

Anatole Tresch

CREDIT SUISSE AG

Information Technology | Java Core Framework & Support, KSXK 23

Zollstrasse 20/36 | 8070 Zürich | Switzerland

Phone +41 44 334 03 89

anatole.tresch@... | www.credit-suisse.com