Skip to main content

[JSR-354] UPPERCASE vs. CamelCase

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jcurrency_mail@...
  • Subject: [JSR-354] UPPERCASE vs. CamelCase
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 19:50:45 +0100

Hi,

I noticed after latest checkout of the Javamoney project, some partial refactoring from uppercase "SPI" to CamelCase "Spi" without the actual files being changed, too.
Maybe some "Nanny" style IDE like IntelliJ infamous for those kinds of things tried to refactor it, or it happened another way?

Although there is evidence, a couple of Java's own classes or interfaces follow a naming pattern like "*Spi", I don't think we should panic or rename all of them at once.
Even java.text contains classes like BuildAPI with an all uppercase "API", while other classes may be named or end with "Api".

There are also plenty of classes or interfaces with "ISO" in the name, and nobody would try renaming those to "Iso", at least I found not a single case where that was done.
So unless there is a general consensus on using the terms "API" and "SPI" in all method and class/interface names as CamelCase, let's not worry about those now.

In fact, rarely any "SPI" type elements in packages like "*.spi" are often even named "*SPI" or "*Spi", except in those cases (e.g. in JDK classes) where the SPI hasn't got its own package

Kind Regards,
--

Werner Keil | JCP Executive Committee Member | Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Java Godfather

Twitter @wernerkeil | @JSR354 | #Java_Social | #EclipseUOMo | #OpenDDR

Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil

* Social Media Week: February 18 2013, Hamburg, Germany. Werner Keil, JCP Executive Committee Member, Agorava Co-Founder will present "Enterprise Social using Open Source Frameworks like Agorava"

* Social Media Week: February 22 2013, Copenhagen, Denmark. Werner Keil, JCP EC Member, JSR 354 EG Member, Agorava Co-Founder will present "Enterprise Social using Open Source Frameworks like Agorava", "Social Currencies and Crowdfunding"

[JSR-354] UPPERCASE vs. CamelCase

Werner Keil 02/02/2013

[JSR-354] Re: UPPERCASE vs. CamelCase

Stephen Colebourne 02/02/2013