Skip to main content

[JSR-354] Re: Locale Extensions

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jcurrency_mail@...
  • Subject: [JSR-354] Re: Locale Extensions
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 13:23:54 +0100

Thanks, note, the Locale.Builder also supports setRegion(), so I think we might have to reconsider some separate stuff there and where it behaves strange or unexpected try to help Java 9 to address some of that within the scope of Unicode or other standards.

The Builder pattern, used also in JavaFX is something worth keeping an eye on. Whether a final value type like java.util.Currency gets this as a static Currency.Builder, like in Locale, or a more consequent approach similar to JavaFX (with its interface Builder<T>) is preferable, let us discuss and see.
javafx.util.Builder could have potential for more than just JavaFX, but that either in the core or ext JSR certainly was a possible idea, too.

Speak soon,
Werner

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Anatole Tresch <atsticks@...> wrote:
Dear All

I was playing around with Locale extensions on JDK 7/8. There was some strange behavior with toString() and extension input validation.
Summarizing I was able to create Locale instances that were not valid as defined in the specs (with duplicate singletons or tags).
More details are described in my blog entry here:

For our use cases according formatting/parsing the mechanism implemented by the JDK looks for me far too restrictive, to be able to replace, what we have defined as of now int the format package.

Regards,
Anatole

Java Lead Engineer, JSR Spec Lead
Glärnischweg 10