Skip to main content

[JSR-354] Re: PayPal Developer

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jcurrency_mail@...
  • Subject: [JSR-354] Re: PayPal Developer
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:12:17 +0100

Hi,

The current version of the RI has both, a BigDecimal and Long implementation. And both are API compatible.

We're more than happy to have any of you contribute to either of them. Ope Source or at least Open API solutions for accounting I use like Financisto (Android) or MoneyDance (Java/Swing) as well as JFire mentioned in the EDR and Wiki references generally prefer Long, too.

We'd leave it up to OpenJDK architects, which one a JDK Money class might use, but from all Mark Reinhold expressed so far, he and the team seem to lean more towards BigDecimal. Doesn't mean we cannot try to convince them otherwise. The public API is implementation type agnostic for exactly that reason.

Cheers,
Werner

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Bob Lee <crazybob@...> wrote:
I'm still around. I'm here because we'd probably use this API if we released a Java API. Also, I want to discourage developers from using floating point #s to represent money. ;-)

Bob

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
Hi,

While not directly a PayPal competitor IMHO, but rather competing with the likes of Square or Stripe, this vendor also looks interesting and fairly international (UK, DE, IT, PL, Brazil!,...)

Similar to PayPal or Square (hopefully this will eventually mean Bob gets a bit more active again, but simply consuming the JSR in Square Android apps would be equally fair) PayLeven should be made aware of the JSR. Its standalone version can be used on Android, and I know at least a couple of other JSRs lead by Oracle(!) who quite openly claim, they fancy real life use cases of their JSR on Android, too.

Unlike PayPal, Stripe, Google Wallet or Braintree these apps aren't often Open Source for reasons like protecting their IP or preventing fraud, so "Evangelism", possibly demonstrating an Android POC in our example section seems all to do on their side.

For Web-based Open APIs exposed by the likes of PayPal, Stripe or Braintree, often even with a Java binding, this looks different and we or the community is free to implement concrete working code for Java EE based Enterprise Apps.

Cheers,
Werner

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Werner Keil <werner.keil@...> wrote:
Hi folks,

Just a follow-up on Anatole and me presenting JSR 354 at Codemotion Roma last weekend.

Keynote speaker by Paypal were keen to exchange business cards with me, and he also mentioned, there was something at Github already. Which in fact is some Java wrapper or servlets: https://developer.paypal.com/webapps/developer/docs/api/
and

That looks interesting, and already Maven-powered, it seems although most core classes like Amount: https://github.com/paypal/rest-api-sdk-java/blob/master/rest-api-sdk/src/main/java/com/paypal/api/payments/Amount.java
are mostly string-based using JSON, especially this class could be a perfect use case for implementing MonetaryAmount. Probably try that in a fork some time. Asking the Paypal authors and speakers how they like it.

Cheers,
Werner