Skip to main content

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jcurrency_mail@...
  • Subject: [JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:36:51 +0200

All,

Obviously toString() works on every interface, so I don't really see why 310 TemporalUnit has that redundant declaration?

As of now, java.util.Currency simply returns the ISO code, and MoneyCurrency simply has no place where a name or description information could be stored, so it's lost. While anything you want to display including a human readable form could be done via toString() so it wouldn't be too vital to declare extra methods, but storing it, and adding further options to the static Builder could be beneficial.
Unless we wanna have those properties back?

The idea of a Localizable interface as mentioned seems interesting.
What we might want to do is rename LocalizableItem to e.g. FormattableItem in such case, or e.g. call the other interface Displayable.
A minor overlap with a MIDP abstract base UI class seems like we can safely ignore. Nobody can avoid a class or two with the same name in different APIs. Just take Java 8, its primary UI framework JavaFX and java.time both got a class named Duration with exactly the same purpose

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

(continued)

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Stephen Colebourne 04/17/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/17/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Anatole Tresch 04/17/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/17/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Simon Martinelli 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Simon Martinelli 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Anatole Tresch 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Sascha Freitag 04/20/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Chris Pheby 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Tresch Anatole (KFSC 225) 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Werner Keil 04/18/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit

Simon Martinelli 04/17/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Getting a name method into CurrencyUnit