Skip to main content

[JSR-354] Re: Denominations and Fractions

  • From: Werner Keil <werner.keil@...>
  • To: jcurrency_mail@...
  • Subject: [JSR-354] Re: Denominations and Fractions
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:31:20 +0200

Simon/all,

While it may only apply to potential M2M and small device use cases (see examples like Fuel stations, but also accounting) I believe you made a very good point.

The earlier example I gave for Bitcoin with at least 2 subunits (and technically several fractions down to the 9th decimal for now) equally applies to US$ !!

Subunit
1/10Dime
1/100Cent
1/1000Mill (used in accounting and by some fuel stations)
Cent is the most commonly used subunit, but it seems, accounting, probably even investment banking seems to use "millis" here, too

At least, if the MinorPart function (therefore it is hardly "adjustment", more conversion, representing 1 hour as milliseconds is also not called adjust in 310 btw. from what I saw) remains as is at the moment, a minimum level of subunit support e.g. "Cent" must be present, otherwise it makes no sense and the MonetaryAmount is effectively perverted see before.

So we could either drop the Major/Minor use case from the Spec and RI (possibly leaving that to Extensions and Derived Work) or do it right, at least for the most common subunit which would be "Cent" for US$, potentially allowing multiple other (custom-defined) subunits, too, whether we'll provide these out of the box remains to be seen.

WDYT?

[JSR-354] Denominations and Fractions

Simon Martinelli 04/16/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Denominations and Fractions

Tresch Anatole (KFSC 225) 04/16/2013

[JSR-354] Re: Denominations and Fractions

Werner Keil 04/16/2013