Skip to main content

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

  • From: Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen@...>
  • To: jsr339-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:05:43 -0500

On Nov 26, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@...> wrote:

On Nov 26, 2012, at 4:38 PM, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen@...> wrote:

On Nov 20, 2012, at 4:14 PM, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@...> wrote:

On Nov 16, 2012, at 11:11 PM, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen@...> wrote:

On Nov 16, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Jan Algermissen <jan.algermissen@...> wrote:

On Nov 16, 2012, at 10:40 PM, Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.PericasGeertsen@...> wrote:

Jan,

My gut reaction is that we should not absolutize URIs on the server, it can lead to all sorts of problems (clustering environments, etc.).

Yes. That was what I came to, too (in my However(!) sentence)

I see.

We should instead have the notion of a base URI on the client, and have the client API do the work, just like a browser.

That is the problem. The existing base URI 'determining' algorithm will lead to anything, but never to the JAX-RS application path.

I didn't mean we'd do this automatically. We should ask the "human" developer for help :)

I am now thinking that there is 'concept' missing - I'll think about it and see if I get an idea of it, at least.

Sounds good.

What about putting an alternative Link/Uri -fromResourceXX() base URI in ApplicationConfig?

@javax.ws.rs.ApplicationPath("resources")
@javax.ws.rs.BaseUri("http://service.ex.org/erp-system/api")
public class ApplicationConfig extends javax.ws.rs.core.Application {

}

Not ideal, but maybe it triggers other thoughts.

I don't think this will generally work in a clustering environment (with load balancers, etc.). It may work if that info is in a deployment descriptor, but having to recompile my app just to deploy it correctly is clearly undesirable.

What about introducing the notion of a base URI as part of the Client API?

That won't work because the base URI for relative URI references in HTTP responses is already defined by the HTTP & friends spec stack. This is nothing you can override or tamper with.

 I don't understand this, can you send some links explaining that?

This is why having Link.fromXXX produce relative URI refs makes the whole thing useless. You definitely need to prepend a base URI. And for that you need to create a new Link object via a roundtrip through UriBuilder.

 Browsers resolve relative URIs all the time, so it can't be useless. There are various mechanisms for converting a relative URI to an absolute one. I believe this is the one that applies to our client API:

 I don't think there's anything wrong with application-defined base URIs.

-- Santiago

[jsr339-experts] Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Jan Algermissen 11/14/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen 11/16/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Jan Algermissen 11/16/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen 11/16/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Jan Algermissen 11/20/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen 11/26/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Jan Algermissen 11/26/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen 11/26/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Jan Algermissen 11/26/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen 11/26/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Jan Algermissen 11/26/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen 11/26/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Jan Algermissen 11/26/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Santiago Pericas-Geertsen 11/27/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?

Jan Algermissen 11/27/2012

[jsr339-experts] Re: [jax-rs-spec users] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are Links build with fromReosurce or fromResourceMethod are useful at all?