Skip to main content

[jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?

  • From: Christopher Vignola < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:28:25 -0400

Michael,

The ids are not substitutable.  That's given by the syntax constraints imposed by the XSD id type.  Allowing a change to the identity of steps would pose a real challenge and is certainly not an important use case to support.  Concerning substitution on transitions, Scott and I thought that would be problematic,  but after a more detailed walk-through , we concluded while arguably pathological,  but not problematic.   Restart processing follows the transitions that exist, whether they are the same or different because of substitution.  It's true the user can cause the steps to be revisited in potentially different order,  but it causes no harm that I can see.  Caveat emptor.

Chris Vignola, STSM, IBM
JSR 352 Spec Lead
WebSphere Systems Management Architect
phone: 1+(720) 396-7501
email:

http://chris.vignola.googlepages.com

Inactive hide details for Michael Minella ---03/25/2013 04:00:00 PM---I was under the understanding that there were some limitsMichael Minella ---03/25/2013 04:00:00 PM---I was under the understanding that there were some limits to what could be substituted.  For example

From: Michael Minella < >
To: " " < >
Date: 03/25/2013 04:00 PM

I was under the understanding that there were some limits to what could be substituted.  For example, anything that controls the flow would not be available for substation.  Is that not the case?

Thanks,
Michael Minella

" target="_blank">
http://www.michaelminella.com

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Scott Kurz < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
    Cheng,

    We are absolved of having to worry about this level of complexity by the recent switch to xs:ID as the type.

    Since I believe all the substitution syntax involves one or more characters not allowed in xs:ID (was it '#'  ?),  it effectively cannot be left for substitution.

    Perhaps it would be better to more clearly and simply state this isn't allowed though.

    Scott Kurz
    WebSphere Batch / Compute Grid Development
    T/L 295-5649;
    External Phone
    845-435-5649
    " target="_blank">

    Inactive hide details for Cheng Fang ---03/25/2013 03:40:30 PM---The spec says " Job XML supports substitution as part of any aCheng Fang ---03/25/2013 03:40:30 PM---The spec says " Job XML supports substitution as part of any attribute value."

    From:
    Cheng Fang < " target="_blank"> >
    To:
    " target="_blank"> ,
    Date:
    03/25/2013 03:40 PM
    Subject:
    [jsr352-public] any attribute can be substituted?

    The spec says "

    Job XML supports substitution as part of any attribute value."

    So it means job id, step id, property name, etc can all be substituted, for example,

    <job id="#{systemProperties['job.id']}"...

    <property name="#{systemProperties['prop.name']}" value="foo"/>

    <step id="#{systemProperties['step.id']}"

    <listener ref="#{systemProperties['listener.ref']}"/>

    Are these all required to be supported?  If so, do we plan to cover all such substitutions in TCK?

    Thanks,
    Cheng

GIF image

[jsr352-public] any attribute can be substituted?

Cheng Fang 03/25/2013

[jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?

Scott Kurz 03/25/2013

[jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?

Michael Minella 03/25/2013

[jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?

Scott Kurz 03/25/2013

[jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?

Michael Minella 03/25/2013

[jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?

Christopher Vignola 03/25/2013

[jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?

Michael Minella 03/27/2013

[jsr352-public] Re: any attribute can be substituted?

Christopher Vignola 03/28/2013