Skip to main content

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

  • From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin@...>
  • To: jsr343-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:56:41 +0100

On 08/07/2011 17:01, Nigel Deakin wrote:
I'd like to start a disscussion about this JIRA issue:
http://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-25

This issue is about the best way to support the portability of JMS providers
between Java EE application servers. At the
moment there is no (mandatory) API that allows this to be done in a generic
fashion which works with every such
combination.

All responses I have received on this topic so far have supported making it mandatory for a JMS vendor to provide a JCA resource adapter to allow their JMS client to be used from any Java EE application server. No-one has objected or argued that this is an excessive burden on JMS vendors.

Some experts proposed making the existing Chapter 8 APi mandatory API as in addition to this. This remains unresolved and will be considered separately as JMS-SPEC_26.

I feel we might be approaching our first decision-by-consensus! Unless anyone wants to jump in and disagree, I will consider this agreed in principle, and we can move on.

I will now

* draft some suitable modifications to the wording in the JMS spec which I will ask you to review in due course (actually trying to write the actual words may raise new issues of detail).

* consult the Java EE spec lead about any wider implications of adding this
new dependency betweeen specs.

* add a note to this effect in the JIRA issue, and create a subtask to cover the task (for me) of drafting the necessary changes for what will be the JMS 2.0 Early Draft.

Thanks,

Nigel

[jsr343-experts] (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

Nigel Deakin 07/08/2011

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

Reza Rahman 07/08/2011

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

Masoud Kalali 07/08/2011

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

John D. Ament 07/08/2011

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

Nigel Deakin 07/21/2011