Skip to main content

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

  • From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin@...>
  • To: jsr343-experts@...
  • Subject: [jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 15:54:22 +0000

On 01/02/2013 16:36, Nigel Deakin wrote:
...I think it is clear from your responses (especially those from vendors)
that there is insufficient support for
[making it mandatory to provide a resource adapter] to justify putting it in
the spec. I will therefore update the
> relevant chapter and bring the text to you all for approval.

Note that the resource adapter chapter can still remain, though we'll need to
change the wording. This still defines a
standard set of activation properties that application servers must support,
though application servers are not, and
have never been, required to implement them via a resource adapter.

I've now updated the start of chapter 13. "Resource adapter" to reflect this change. However I've left a "recommendation" to implement a resource adapter. (I don't think this is controversial but if you think otherwise please say so).

In addition I've renamed the section "13.1. ActivationSpec properties" to "13.1. MDB activation properties". The new wording was suggested by the EJB spec lead and reflects the fact that this section is cross-referenced from the EJB spec, and so should reflect the possibility that the application server might implement them without using a resource adapter. I have therefore replaced the JCA-specific term "ActivationSpec properties" with the more generic "activation configuration properties", which is the term used in the EJB spec.

OLD TEXT
--------

13. Resource adapter

The Java EE Connector Architecture (JCA) specification defines a standard architecture for connecting the Java EE platform to enterprise information systems (EISs).

A JMS provider (whether it forms part of a Java EE application server or not) is required to include a resource adapter which connects to that JMS provider and which conforms to the Java EE Connector Architecture specification and as further specified in this chapter. Such a resource adapter is referred a "JMS standard resource adapter".

The version of the Java EE Connector Architecture specification which should
be used is 1.7.

This chapter is not intended to prevent the creation and use of additional resource adapters for connecting to a JMS provider which do not conform to the specifications in this chapter. However Java EE applications which use such resource adapters may be less portable.

13.1. ActivationSpec properties

A JMS standard resource adapter must support the ActivationSpec JavaBean properties defined in the following table. It may support additional properties in addition to those listed.

Table 13-1ActivationSpec properties that a JMS standard resource adapter must
support

NEW TEXT
--------

The Java EE Connector Architecture (JCA) specification defines a standard architecture for connecting the Java EE platform to enterprise information systems (EISs).

A JMS provider (whether it forms part of a Java EE application server or not) is recommended to include a resource adapter which connects to that JMS provider and which conforms to the Java EE Connector Architecture specification and as further specified in this chapter.

13.1. MDB activation properties

Message-driven beans are defined in the Enterprise JavaBeans specification. JMS defines the following activation properties for message-driven beans.

Table 13-1 MDB activation properties defined by JMS

(table follows)

The updated text can be viewed in context in the usual place,
http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/sources/repository/content/jms2.0/specification/word/JMS20.pdf

As always, comments welcome.

Nigel

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

Nigel Deakin 02/01/2013

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

Nigel Deakin 02/07/2013