Skip to main content

[jms-spec users] JMS 2.0: question about scope of shared non-durable and durable subscriptions

  • From: Chris Barrow <chris.barrow@...>
  • To: users@...
  • Subject: [jms-spec users] JMS 2.0: question about scope of shared non-durable and durable subscriptions
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:34:36 -0700

Hi,

I have been reading the JMS 2.0 public draft specification and some question about the scope of shared non-durable and durable subscriptions.

1. Can a given durable subscription be used on more than one Connection (assuming no clientID's are set)? If so, can this be at the same time?
The spec states "A durable subscription may have more than one active consumer (this was not permitted prior to JMS 2.0). Each message from the subscription will be delivered to only one of the consumers on that subscription." What I am asking is: do the active consumers have to be created on the same Connection or can they be created on different Connections? And (a weaker question): once the active consumer(s) created on one Connection have been closed, is it then possible to subsequently to create further consumers on another Connection for the same durable subscription?

2. Same questions for shared non-durable subscriptions. The spec says "A non-durable shared subscription is used by a client which needs to be able to share the work of receiving messages from a topic subscription amongst multiple consumers.". So my question is whether those consumers can be created on multiple Connections.  This really amounts to asking whether the name of the shared non-durable subscription is scoped to a Connection or global.

The answers to these questions (especially the last one) have quite far-reaching implications for JMS provider implementations.

Thanks,
Chris Barrow

[jms-spec users] JMS 2.0: question about scope of shared non-durable and durable subscriptions

Chris Barrow 06/27/2012

[jms-spec users] Re: JMS 2.0: question about scope of shared non-durable and durable subscriptions

Nigel Deakin 06/28/2012

[jms-spec users] Re: JMS 2.0: question about scope of shared non-durable and durable subscriptions

Chris Barrow 06/28/2012